Get in the Green Groove

Friday, October 12, 2007

Sneaky food!

Ha Ha! Jaims. I saw your post and had to reply. Maybe husbands are a lot like kids!

Yesterday I just made a chocolate beet cake! Who Knew! It was very very good! The frosting was a bit much but I'll explain in a bit.

First, I saw Jessica Seinfeld on Oprah the other day and she has a new book out called Deceptively Delicious. It's about sneaking in veggies in unsuspecting places. She uses purees so everything comes out moist and delicious. The only thing I have tried was the cake so I can't comment on the other things. I have heard though that it's a more "grown up" flavor to her foods. Maybe good for husbands!

Now, about the frosting. My kids liked the cake but NOT the frosting. It was very strong. You use cream cheese, cocoa powder the unsweetened kind (I think that was overpowering) confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract. Just too much for little taste buds. I even found myself scraping it off. My husband said he liked it though. But, hey, it was cake! He's not going to complain.

Anyway, I will make the cake again just changed the frosting. :)

Maybe that is what you need to do with Jeff. You need to get creative. Another good cookbook you need is the Farmer John Cookbook. This book gives you lots of tips and new ideas for all those goodies in your box. This book comes from the CSA I belong too.

I know, it's hard when you start getting veggies that you have never heard of before. Like kohlrabi. Plus, I still don't know what to do with all my kale!

Well, have a great day! And get to cookin'!

Over and out.


Oops. Forgot to tell you what Green Bags are. They are bags that you put your fresh produce in and they remove the gases to help prolong the shelf life. I think I said before, my strawberries got a funny taste though. They kept ripening. But, they did last longer and didn't get any mold or decay. That's good, because if you do nothing mine start to rot in a couple days! Anyway, they do help. I have heard about little packets that you can throw into containers too. They might be worth a look into.

No comments: